What is the best indoor cycle for a realistic feel?
Who makes a maintenance free indoor cycle for group fitness indoor cycling studios and home use?
Now there is a solution for home gyms and fitness studios - no more bike grease, no more repairing broken cycle chains, no more wear and tear adding maintenance time and cost when you should be focused on your cardio workouts and burning calories.
The AC Performance Plus Indoor Bike is in a league of its own
Schwinn® launched a phenomenon with the first production bike designed specifically for indoor cycling over 20 years ago, and continue to build on the legacy of the most experienced brand of indoor group cycling bikes.
The Schwinn flagship bike, the AC Performance Plus, is designed to enhance rider comfort with micro adjustable seat and handlebars, a wider step-through and durable, covered stretch pads - surrounded by a rust-free aluminium frame.
Using a cutting-edge belt drive (Carbon Blue), it provides an authentic riding experience indoors.
It's innovative and stylish design keeps it on the cutting edge of the indoor cycling industry, and with the smallest foot print of any commercial group cycling bike, it allows for the most usage of the cycling studio floor space.
The Schwinn AC Performance Plus comes standard with Double Link pedals with SPD and toe-clip combinations to accommodate both cycling cleats and regular athletic shoes.
The bikes are also compatible with the Schwinn Triple Link™ pedal upgrade. Triple Link Pedals accommodate Look Delta and SPD style cleats to simulate an outdoor riding experience. They also easily convert to accept traditional athletic shoes with the snap-in locking toe clips.
Also available is the Schwinn MPower Echelon 2 console with optional power (Watts) upgrade, or the Schwinn Cadence Pro computer.
Schwinn AC Performance Plus Features:
- Aluminium frame construction manufactured by Giant - provides rust-free performance for a long-lasting lifetime and is significantly lighter than steel
- 6-Magnet non-contact brake system - allows for smooth, consistent control and provides maintenance-free resistance that won't wear or change over time
- Aluminium seat slider and posts - no corrosion with proven durability
- Performance Plus handlebars support all rider needs, from comfort to high performance
- Schwinn Fit System - infinite fore-aft seat and handlebar adjustments for refined positioning
- Virtual Contact™ Resistance Technology - the magnetic brake does not contact the flywheel, eliminating friction and wear
- Dual-density saddle for comfort and performance
- Belt drive using Carbon Blue™ technology - for an authentic outdoor ride feel and virtually zero maintenance
- Double link pedals with SPD and toe-clip combination (also compatible with Triple Link™ pedals sold separately)
Schwinn AC Performance Plus Review Walk-through Video
Introducing Schwinn Carbon Blue™ Technology
A belt drive system combining unmatched durability with the authentic outdoor biking feel you expect from Schwinn. For nearly 20 years, Schwinn chain drive bikes have led the indoor cycling industry.
Even as other companies began to use belt drives on their group cycling bikes, Schwinn stayed true to their technology for one simple reason: belt drives felt nothing like riding an outdoor bike.
Today, all of that is changing.
There is a revolutionary new belt drive taking the outdoor bike community by storm, and Schwinn Fitness has adapted it and brought it indoors on the A.C. Performance Plus with Carbon Blue indoor cycling bike.
This next generation system delivers guaranteed durability and virtually zero maintenance, without sacrificing the Schwinn authentic cycling feel that riders know and love.
What is the Carbon Blue™ Belt Drive?
Several years ago, a company named Gates introduced a concept never before seen on outdoor bikes - a belt drive that performed like a chain. Their innovative system - called Carbon Drive™ - features a carbon fibre reinforced belt with teeth for maximum durability and true bike performance.
Over time, this has transitioned from a novelty system to a mainstream solution used on hundreds of outdoor bike models today. Over the past year, Schwinn Fitness has worked with Gates to adapt this revolutionary technology to their A.C. Performance group cycle.
The result is a new belt-based drive system that combines the maintenance-free durability and performance of a belt with the authentic-ride feel of a chain. We call it Carbon Blue™ - those who ride it call it "incredible".
- Morse Taper non-threaded spindle pedal interface
- Non slip stretching pads
- Transport wheels and levelling feet
- Oversized ISIS bottom bracket 168 mm Q-Factor
- Lightweight performance handlebars with ErgoLoop™, aero bars, and 12 degree incline enable multiple user positions and increased comfort levels
- Dual handlebar mounted water bottle holders
- Perimeter weighted 36 lb aluminium flywheel
- Compatible with the Echelon 2 Console (optional)
- Powder Coated-Frame Colour: White
Consoles Options for the Schwinn AC Performance Plus
Schwinn Cadence Pro Console
At Schwinn, we're committed to designing bikes that deliver both an authentic experience to riders and lasting value to gym and studio owners.
Our new Cadence Pro Console works seamlessly with our IC Pro, IC Classic, and AC series bikes to give your riders the best results.
Key Features of the Cadence Pro Console
- Large, easy-to-read display
- Displays: RPM (Actual and average)
- Heart rate (Actual, average, and Percent of maximum heart rate), when used with compatible heart rate monitor
- Calories, when a heart rate monitor is used
- Workout time
- User metrics: RPM and AVG RPM; HEART RATE, AVG HR and % of MHR (Maximum Heart Rate); TRAINING time, exercise session time, distance and KCAL
- Backlit LCD screen
- Ant+ Wireless Technology
With great user-friendly features like heart rate monitoring, summary displays and modes for personalising data - the Cadence Pro is a perfect partner.
Add a variety of basic rider feedback tools - time, distance, calories and RPM - to your ride with the Cadence Pro.
This console brings motivation and measurement to the group cycling studio at a budget and is compatible with all Schwinn bikes. A compact display that is easy to use and easy to read, makes a great bike even better.
Schwinn Echelon 2 Console
Schwinn are committed to designing bikes that deliver both an authentic experience to riders and lasting value to gym and studio owners. It’s a dedication that drove us to developing the most feature-rich console in the industry today.
With “measurement” being an added tool continually gaining momentum in cycling rooms, the new MPower Echelon 2 Console gives motivating rider feedback which changes the way members ride and how classes are coached, ultimately enhancing the member experience.
The Echelon 2 Console is Schwinn's smartest design yet - and an even smarter choice for your bike.
The new Echelon 2 is an evolution of the Echelon. We’ve kept the basic look of the console the same but changed the outer case to black to distinguish it from the Echelon.
Note: Power statistics require the Echelon 2 Power Upgrade component to be installed. This component is sold separately.
Schwinn Echelon2 Console Benefits
The new console, combined with the Power Upgrade, offers a number of enhancements, making it a valuable and reliable tool in all types of cycling facilities and home use.
- User Metrics - Watts, Time, KCal, Cadence (RPM), Distance and Telemetry Heart Rate are all measured.
- Data Capture - Two ways to record workout data: USD Memory stick and ANT+ Wireless Devices.
- Stage & Totals - Stage measurements can be reset during a ride, making it easy to track multiple in-class segments for time, distance and AGV/MAX power. Totals track the same measurements for the course of the entire ride.
- Readability - Riders enjoy a large display and characters that are easy to read.
- Functionality - Push-button start-up and AVG/MAX values are accessible anytime during the ride with a separate, dedicated button.
- Reliability - The system does not rely on a wireless signal for communication, eliminating connectivity issues.
- Serviceability - A plug-and-play design allows for simplified installation, and the batteries are housed in a single location.
- Gear Function - Optional display component of resistance level with a numeric 'gear' displayed on the console.
Schwinn Echelon 2 Console with Power (Watts) Upgrade
The Power (Watts) Upgrade Kit for Echelon 2 gives motivating rider feedback which changes the way members ride and how classes are coached, ultimately enhancing the member experience. The console, combined with the Power Upgrade, offers a number of enhancements, making it a valuable and reliable tool in all types of cycling facilities.
Schwinn Echelon 2 Power (Watts) Upgrade Features:
- Compatible with all Schwinn® A.C.™ Series Bikes
- Measurements displayed with the power upgrade: POWER (Watts), RPM (Cadence), KCal (Calories), Heart Rate (with Strap) STAGE Time, Distance, and Power, and TOTAL Time, Distance and Power
Schwinn AC Performance Plus Specifications
- Length: 21 in (53 cm)
- Width: 54 in (137 cm)
- Height: 51 in (130 cm)
- User Weight Capacity: 300 lbs (136 kg)
- Product Weight: 102 lbs (46 kg)
- User size Range: 4’11” to 6’8″ (150 cm to 203 cm)
- Q-Factor: 168mm
- Bottom Bracket: Oversized ISIS
- Pedal Interface: 9/16 Threaded
- Frame Material: Powder-coated aluminum
- Drive Train: Carbon Blue™ Belt Drive
- Resistance System: 6-Magnet Non-Contact Magnetic Resistance
- Flywheel Weight: 36 lbs (16 kg)
- Shipping Weight: 112 lbs (51 kg)
- Standard Pedals: Double Link
- Optional Pedals: Schwinn Triple Link™
- Frame: 10 years (limited) / 5 Years Corrosion
- Carbon Blue belt: 5 years
- Mechanical: 2 years (drive mechanism, braking system, cranks)
- Wear Items: 6 months (saddle, pedals)
- Labour: 1 year
Customer ReviewsWrite a reviewJThe best choice in indoor biking
I did a fair amount of research before purchasing this bike. I've used Keisers and Schwinn AC Sports at gyms before but wanted a home option to avoid the cost and time of going to a gym/cycle studio to have to work out, especially after a long days work. This bike is better than either of the previous two I've used before.
Don't get me wrong, the Kesier is a nice bike for a group fitness class, but it's not going to mimic a 'real' bike as much, but that's a matter of personal preference and what the user is looking for - there is no 'right' answer. You'll feel a smoother ride for sure on the Keiser, but the Carbon Blue drive does a really nice job on this bike as well mimicking a real bike while giving a smooth ride on your joints as well.
Compared to the AC Sport, this bike is a tank. The packaging weighs a ton and they delivery service will only deliver to your front door, so just be aware of that. It's well worth it though because the frame looks and feels sturdy. I'm a bigger guy (6'3-225 lb) and the frame really doesn't move or sway, even during a hard push. All adjustments are great and are capable of accommodating both me and my wife who are pretty different in size.
Not much bad to say about this bike so far. It's a steep price tag, but you'll get a return on investment within a year of not paying for high end classes if you currently are. We've rigged it up in a room with some lighting and a sound system to great results. Highly recommended!